From: Steve Smith <sasm...@swcp.com>
Sent: Sun Jan 08 14:11:26 MST 2012
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group <friam@redfish.com>
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Fwd: Winds of Change

Doug, et al-

Despite my participation in debunking the specifics of the chain-mail
attributed to Warren Buffet, I am sympathetic with some if not most of it's
tone and message.  I believe that our political strata, both at state and
federal levels are generally corrupt, sold out, or at least out of touch with
what "we the people" want, and the perqs of the office only serve to make them
more apart.    On the other hand, I have a nose for conspiracy theories that
take any good issue and blow it out of proportion and inject their own brand of
craziness.

The Founding Fathers *may have* envisioned citizen legislators, but we should
also remember that at the time, *citizens* were defined by property ownership,
gender and race.   So, the "Citizen Legislators" they envisioned were "landed
(white) gentlemen" who were both educated and who had significant vested
interests in the economy...  The rest (of us?) *were* the ignorant unwashed
masses to them, as I fear we continue to be to "them".

I love the phrasing you use here Doug, I'm suspecting you were quite deliberate
in the allusion implied with "47% of the population *liked* Sara Palin for
president".    It may not be long before most of the population believes that
they can (and should be able to) elect a president over Facebook!  I'd like to
believe that 50% of that 47% were really "liking" Tina Fey or Lisa Ann without
realizing that either of these *actresses* were not Sara herself anyway...

I've always been offended by how much our election process looks like a
popularity contest.  Which reminds me... is anyone following "Americans Elect"
still?   I'm still getting their mailings...

- Steve

And how, in country where 47% of the population liked Sarah Palin for president
do you envision this version of Utopia evolving, Marcus?

Sent from my Kindle Fire