Another relevant article

https://hbr.org/2016/11/what-so-many-people-dont-get-about-the-u-s-working-class

Frank -

Thanks for this article. Between bouts of thinking up worst-case-scenarios and then how one man's Dystopia is another's Utopia, I also struggle to understand the deeper causes and consequences.

I personally come from the true Rural America where extractive industries (grazing/timber/mining) were called "honest work" before the resources they were tapping began to dry up and/or show the unintended consequences ( pollution, global warming, etc.). I can directly sympathize with how they got into the untenable circumstances they seem to be wedged in. Unfortunately, I *never* had a good apprehension of the factory worker mentality, even though most of those people probably left a rural lifestyle for WWII and stayed on to build what ultimately became the rust belt.

I think it is unconscionable that the likes of Trump deliberately mines their misery and fear with promises of returning those unsustainable lifestyles to a new central place in the American self-image and economy? I think I understand WHY this subset of the red staters are so smug about this turn of events, I'm just not sure how to help them use this to get (some of?) what they want without helping them shoot themselves (and the rest of us?) in the foot. Can middle America be great again without accelerating climate change, destroying the rest of the aquifers and watersheds, acting out racist and xenophobic passion plays? I hope so, but I think the latter is roughly what Trump promised them, as self-defeating as it is.

The number of WWC women (62% according to the article) voting for Trump is probably the majority of the unexpected difference in votes? Many would ask "what were they thinking"... but I know a number of women in this class and they are quite serious that this is going to be good for them...

-Steve