It seems to me that neither Musk and Thiel are interested in the unknown. They
are interested in doing things they can already imagine.    For Musk I thought
that was because it is how he raises money.   Now I think he is not imagining
consciousness in a, say, a transporter pattern buffer, he imagines life on the
Enterprise bridge in his body.   Rockets are comparatively science fictiony for
people that can't imagine transport without a car, so he gets some points for
that.

https://bit.ly/virtualfriam