My biggest complaint has been how the sizing of the appliances is done. The
'benchmarks' are strictly packet forwarding with very little running on the
appliance. So none of the blades (new equal to SmartDefense) being enabled.
Also they are under provisioned in the memory by a long shot.

Now that is based on what we got about a year ago, and it is a UTM appliance
and not an IP appliance. Maybe they've changed in the meantime, but I'd be
surprised if they did.

So the what size of appliance is equal to the hardware you are currently
running is the trick to watch.

Now on the good side, the combined cost, support, etc... and the 'one throat to
choke' makes for a nice package.

-ken cameron, CCP.
Staff Leasing of CNY Inc 315-641-3600
SkyDiver: Zoo-602, A-8596, D-11839.
Skier: down & cross. English Hunter Rider. Scuba: wet & dry
mailto: kcame...@staffleasing-peo.com  Home DZ: FingerLakes Skydivers, Ovid NY

Scanned by Check Point Total Security Gateway.

--- Begin Message ---
I'm at a crossroads. My maintenance renewal is coming due and my Checkpoint
representative was reviewing the account (we have one VPN-1 standalone
Enterprise license protecting 250 IPs) and suggested I go with an appliance. I
think the IP565. There would be a pretty significant discount to get the
appliance, but the big thing that's got me thinking about this is that my
yearly renewal fees would be reduced by over half.

However, I like the convenience of running Checkpoint on my own hardware. I can
reduce downtime by having a spare box preconfigured in case of hardware,
configuration change or upgrade issues. I think this is pretty huge, but I've
been doing this for so long, and never really had any major configuration or
upgrade issues, that I wonder if my reasoning is flawed.

For those running SecurePlatform, what are your reasons for not going with an
appliance?

Thanks, Jason

Scanned by Check Point Total Security Gateway.