[mailto:fw-1-mailingl...@amadeus.us.checkpoint.com] On Behalf Of Ebersole, Jason
Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 2:34 PM
To: FW-1-MAILINGLIST@AMADEUS.US.CHECKPOINT.COM
Subject: [FW-1] Staying with SecurePlatform?

I'm at a crossroads. My maintenance renewal is coming due and my Checkpoint
representative was reviewing the account (we have one VPN-1 standalone
Enterprise license protecting 250 IPs) and suggested I go with an appliance. I
think the IP565. There would be a pretty significant discount to get the
appliance, but the big thing that's got me thinking about this is that my
yearly renewal fees would be reduced by over half.

However, I like the convenience of running Checkpoint on my own hardware. I can
reduce downtime by having a spare box preconfigured in case of hardware,
configuration change or upgrade issues. I think this is pretty huge, but I've
been doing this for so long, and never really had any major configuration or
upgrade issues, that I wonder if my reasoning is flawed.

For those running SecurePlatform, what are your reasons for not going with an
appliance?

Thanks, Jason

Scanned by Check Point Total Security Gateway.