> IP appliances on the other hand, are a completely different
> story, they are great, very robust and the IPSO OS they are
> based on, is also very good, rich featured and very easy to
> manage. I work for a reseller, so don't really manage firewalls
> in a day by day basis, but customers of ours who have acquired
> IP appliances, love them and would never change them for
> something different.

I do manage them every day, and I agree; the IPSO appliances are more
manageable. They are also more complex. Another major advantage of the IP
series is the ability to swap and add interface cards, which you can't do on
UTM appliances. But an IP series box will cost you twice as much as a UTM
series appliance with a similar performance point. This has led my local
government employer to choose UTM appliances in our current hardware
replacement cycle.

But this worries me:

> Note also that the marketing performance numbers on UTM appliances
> are way too high for devices below the 3000 series UTM's.

Dan Lynch, CISSP
Information Technology Analyst
County of Placer
Auburn, CA