[mailto:fw-1-mailingl...@amadeus.us.checkpoint.com] On Behalf Of Dave
Hornby
Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2010 3:57 AM
To: FW-1-MAILINGLIST@AMADEUS.US.CHECKPOINT.COM
Subject: [FW-1] Appliances vs Intel Server running Windows

I am looking at upgrading our checkpoint firewall (Currently R60!) at
some point soon and need to do a hardware refresh at the same time.

Whilst I know checkpoint quite well, I am much more familiar with the
Windows operating systems as a base for checkpoint to run on.

So....Does anyone know if Checkpoint have any plans to support Windows
2008R2? As I see currently there is only 32bit support.

Also with regular patching is Windows really a bad choice security wise?

Currently we run a single box Checkpoint firewall but I may add in a 2nd
box for resilience (Cost dependant!)

My preferences are to either go down the appliance route or run with
Checkpoint on Windows.

As a guide we use the firewall for the following:

100 Users web access
30 Users remote connectivity (Will be via Endpoint security Client)
20 B2B IPSEC VPN's
With up to 20 Hosted server accessible across the internet (A mix of Web
and Terminal services servers)

I will also  want to turn on IPS and possibly some other functionality
(But NOT AV, SPAM or URL filtering)

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Many thanks
Dave

Scanned by Check Point Total Security Gateway.