[mailto:fw-1-mailingl...@amadeus.us.checkpoint.com] On Behalf Of Sergio Alvarez
Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 6:22 PM
To: FW-1-MAILINGLIST@AMADEUS.US.CHECKPOINT.COM
Subject: Re: [FW-1] Staying with SecurePlatform?

I consider all previous comments valid, but it is important to note Check
Point customers in general have complained about poor hardware and
performance on the UTM-1 appliances, which by the way are SPLAT based.

IP appliances on the other hand, are a completely different story, they are
great, very robust and the IPSO OS they are based on, is also very good,
rich featured and very easy to manage. I work for a reseller, so don't
really manage firewalls in a day by day basis, but customers of ours who
have acquired IP appliances, love them and would never change them for
something different.

Regards

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 2:39 PM, Kropiewnicki, Alex <
alexkropiewni...@ozinga.com> wrote:

> Main reason for me is that I don't like to replace my appliance every 3
> years.  The firewall is a very light user of resources (less heat) on the
> SPLAT which I believe leads to a much longer life on the hardware.  Having
> spare hardware on site makes all the difference in the world.

Sergio Alvarez
CISSP | CCSE+