Hi Eric,

Sorry, forgot to CC the list on this.  Here goes...

On 4/11/06, Eric Thibodeau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Mr. Rand(),
>
>         I tend to prone the Diskless approach for the reasons you are
> mentionning.
> You can easily switch between roots with a network boot just by modifying
> your dhcp config and rebooting a node. This is really neat since you can have
> the dev environment on the actual cluster, test the new root with new libs
> and simply reboot some available nodes to test them. Furthermore, this
> approach opens the way to having multiple boot profiles with
> application-specific orientations (/me is thinking of the hellish deal of
> parallel Matlab with a polluted environment and the booting into a really
> optimized one for real MPI work ;)...)

Yes, this is exactly what I had in mind :)

>         As for the "un-ncecessary attacker blahblahblah... Put your head
> behing the
> firewall. Beowulf nodes aren't meant to be publically available if they are
> to be efficient. nonetheless, departmental clusters (by night) could aslo be
> very possible with the diskless approach

Sorry, I should have mentioned that my application is load balancing /
HA rather than HPC.  There will certainly be some very strict firewall
rulesets in place, however I do have to deal with serving up user
requests.  If someone manages to poke a hole in Apache or whatever and
gets themself a shell I don't want to give them any tools which might
help them along their quest for root.