Mr. Rand(),

        I tend to prone the Diskless approach for the reasons you are
mentionning.
You can easily switch between roots with a network boot just by modifying
your dhcp config and rebooting a node. This is really neat since you can have
the dev environment on the actual cluster, test the new root with new libs
and simply reboot some available nodes to test them. Furthermore, this
approach opens the way to having multiple boot profiles with
application-specific orientations (/me is thinking of the hellish deal of
parallel Matlab with a polluted environment and the booting into a really
optimized one for real MPI work ;)...)

        As for the "un-ncecessary attacker blahblahblah... Put your head behing
the
firewall. Beowulf nodes aren't meant to be publically available if they are
to be efficient. nonetheless, departmental clusters (by night) could aslo be
very possible with the diskless approach (even more so since you don't modify
the current OS, which is most probably some horribly expensive Windows with
the latest and greates Office suite which the deparment thinks is more
important that the licences for Matlab...t'is not like we're trying to do
some scientific work here eh!... (oops...dropped that one)...

Hehe, in any case, I have had only great experiences with diskless nodes at
the moment and really hope to see the Gentoo community take off on Clusterd
(with or without disks ;)

--
Eric Thibodeau
Neural Bucket Solutions Inc.