That's a clever trick. How do you get emails from emerge?
JDM

-----Original Message-----
From: Tanstaafl <tansta...@libertytrek.org>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 07:58:34
To: <gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] chicken <--> egg (NFS & tty video) (Fixed!)

On 2011-05-15 10:54 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
> Why setup didn't get this right via emerge I have no idea, unless it
> didn't actually do anything toward actually setting Grub up. If so, it
> could be there was already some mismatched Grub code there already from
> a previous use of the sectors there that didn't like the file format.

Felix - you need to start reading the post-install messages when
emerging things.

With Gentoo, a lot of times, you have to actually do things manually
after installing something - as you found with GRUB.

Most people set things up so they get emails of the post install
messages when emerging things, but it is up to you to actually read them
and, when necessary, follow the instructions.