On 2011/05/15 22:18 (GMT-0400) Felix Miata composed:

I have two Gentoo stanzas in my primary bootloader, one to load the kernel,
another to chainload Gentoo's Grub. Loading the kernel works, but chainload
gives error 13 invalid executable format. I named the bzImage copied to /boot
"kernel-2.6.37-r4f", and symlinked it a vmlinuz. vmlinuz is the name I use in
the Grub stanzas. Is Gentoo's Grub expecting the kernel to have a particular
name, and I picked a wrong one? Or maybe what it doesn't like is that I
uncommented splashimage=(hd0,6)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz in menu.lst?

I got this to work too:

# grub
grub> find /boot/grub/stage1
grub> root (hd0,6)
grub> setup (hd0,6)
grub> quit
#

Why setup didn't get this right via emerge I have no idea, unless it didn't actually do anything toward actually setting Grub up. If so, it could be there was already some mismatched Grub code there already from a previous use of the sectors there that didn't like the file format.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/