On 10/18/11 19:21, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 4:16 PM, Colleen Beamer
> <colleen.bea...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I have googled this problem and tried everything and can't seem to
>> resolve the issue.
>>
>> My CD drive will read data CD's, but will not play audio CD's. I've
>> tried with kscd and Kaffeine. Haven't installed amarok yet. I've
>> checked and rechecked my settings in the kernel. In /dev cdrom is a
>> symlink to sr0. Nothing I've read in anything that came up in my google
>> search helped.
>>
>> Oops! Forgot to add this to my original message:
>>
>> When I try to play an audio CD in kaffeine, I get an alert box that says:
>> Cannot find input plgin for MRL "cdda://"
>>
>> cdda is one of my USE flags. I have tried upgrading phonon-gstreamer
>> 'cause I read somewhere that the problem might be with phonon.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>

> Have you Googled extensively on that error message? It seems that
> there are a lot of people that have had it and most of the forum
> threads I looked at seemed to have either some suggestions or possibly
> answers.

Yes, I have googled for much of today.  There are a lot of responses,
but I tried to stick to one where it was related to gentoo.  Like I
said, there is a symlink that links cdrom to sr0.  One of the things I
found when I googled said that they made a symlink to sr0 from cdrom.
That didn't make sense to me so. I didn't try it.

Another post suggested that there was a problem with phonon.  Hence, I
emerge an upgrade (albeit unstable) to phonon-gstreamer.  In honesty,
one thing I didn't try was writing a udev rule that was suggested.
Call me stubborn, but I've never had to write a rule to get an audio
CD to play before so, I will only do that as a last resort.

I've tried to stay away from posts that were back in 2003 and 2004
'cause they may not be relevant now.

The line in my fstab is:

/dev/cdrom    /mnt/cdrom    auto    noauto,user    0 0

Maybe I should have said /dev/sr0?

I may have to keep plugging, but thought I would post in case anyone
else has encountered this problem.

Regards,

Colleen

--