On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Colleen Beamer
<colleen.bea...@gmail.com> wrote:
<SNIP>

>>> cdda is one of my USE flags. I have tried upgrading phonon-gstreamer
>>> 'cause I read somewhere that the problem might be with phonon.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>

>> Have you Googled extensively on that error message? It seems that
>> there are a lot of people that have had it and most of the forum
>> threads I looked at seemed to have either some suggestions or possibly
>> answers.
>
> Yes, I have googled for much of today.  There are a lot of responses,
> but I tried to stick to one where it was related to gentoo.  Like I
> said, there is a symlink that links cdrom to sr0.  One of the things I
> found when I googled said that they made a symlink to sr0 from cdrom.
> That didn't make sense to me so. I didn't try it.
>
> Another post suggested that there was a problem with phonon.  Hence, I
> emerge an upgrade (albeit unstable) to phonon-gstreamer.  In honesty,
> one thing I didn't try was writing a udev rule that was suggested.
> Call me stubborn, but I've never had to write a rule to get an audio
> CD to play before so, I will only do that as a last resort.
>
> I've tried to stay away from posts that were back in 2003 and 2004
> 'cause they may not be relevant now.
>
> The line in my fstab is:
>
> /dev/cdrom    /mnt/cdrom    auto    noauto,user    0 0
>
> Maybe I should have said /dev/sr0?
>
> I may have to keep plugging, but thought I would post in case anyone
> else has encountered this problem.

Sorry. I'm not picking on you. Maybe it sounded that way. I apologize if it did.

Along the lines of what Dale suggested is your user account part of
the audio group?

I've not had any problem with Linux audio in a while, at least not CD
playing, although I don't do a lot of that in Linux so maybe I've
missed something. I will say from personal experience that I've had
the fewest problems with xine but it has a fairly involved user
interface that isn't the easiest thing to get through if you've not
used it before. I use it all the time for DVDs, and sometimes for CDs
although all of that is digitized these days and I hardly ever touch
physical CDs.

Again, my apologies if I ticked you off. I do that sometimes. :-) ;-)

- Mark