On 10/18/11 21:07, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Colleen Beamer
> <colleen.bea...@gmail.com> wrote:
> <SNIP>

>>> Have you Googled extensively on that error message? It seems that
>>> there are a lot of people that have had it and most of the forum
>>> threads I looked at seemed to have either some suggestions or possibly
>>> answers.
>> Yes, I have googled for much of today.  There are a lot of responses,
>> but I tried to stick to one where it was related to gentoo.  Like I
>> said, there is a symlink that links cdrom to sr0.  One of the things I
>> found when I googled said that they made a symlink to sr0 from cdrom.
>> That didn't make sense to me so. I didn't try it.
>>
>> Another post suggested that there was a problem with phonon.  Hence, I
>> emerge an upgrade (albeit unstable) to phonon-gstreamer.  In honesty,
>> one thing I didn't try was writing a udev rule that was suggested.
>> Call me stubborn, but I've never had to write a rule to get an audio
>> CD to play before so, I will only do that as a last resort.
>>
>> I've tried to stay away from posts that were back in 2003 and 2004
>> 'cause they may not be relevant now.
>>
>> The line in my fstab is:
>>
>> /dev/cdrom    /mnt/cdrom    auto    noauto,user    0 0
>>
>> Maybe I should have said /dev/sr0?
>>
>> I may have to keep plugging, but thought I would post in case anyone
>> else has encountered this problem.
>>
> Sorry. I'm not picking on you. Maybe it sounded that way. I apologize if it
> did.
>
> Along the lines of what Dale suggested is your user account part of
> the audio group?
I responded to this via Dale's post, but yes, I did! :-)  Like I told
Dale, this was one thing that bit me in the butt a few times when I was
more of a "newbie".  :-)

> Again, my apologies if I ticked you off. I do that sometimes. :-) ;-)

You certainly *did not* tick me off.  I was just explaining.  Sorry if
you perceived that I was angry.  I just wanted to let you know that I
had put in some effort myself before "asking for a handout".

I could never get angry at anyone on this list - everyone has always
been very helpful when I needed it.  I may get frustrated, but at a
situation, not at a person directly.

Colleen

--

Registered Linux User #411143 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org