Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I still use Konqueror but I disabled some USE flags early on since I
> didn't want some of the bloat.  I think I had to enable some since
> they were no longer a option but sort of forced.  Anyway, this is the
> USE flags for mine but since it is a short list, USE flags for other
> packages may affect it more.
>
> [ebuild   R    ] kde-apps/konqueror-15.08.3:4/15.08::gentoo
> USE="bookmarks handbook svg (-aqua) -debug" 0 KiB

I've checked it out right now and portage told me that I would have to
install 22 new packages and also that there a 4 blockers. And then I
only will have konqueror and no control panel or something like that.
Maybe I will try it when I have much spare time. :-)

> The hard part, getting it to run as root.  KDE doesn't like things
> running as root so it took a hammer and some elbow grease.  I use it
> to edit config files and it has to run as root to do that.  I

As root I only use a console on my system. But I think it was no
problem to use KDE3 as root. IIRC SUSEs DE for root was KDE3 with some
red background wallpaper to remember the user that he is working in a
dangerous environment. :-)

> generally have it open only when I am doing a update tho.  Obviously,
> I never do internet stuff with it either.  < wags finger >

For browsing I use a VM. I'm too paranoid to do this on my host system.

--
Regards
wabe