On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 11:02 AM, Michael Mol <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My workstation updates on a cron job every day at 6PM. I check my email in the
> morning to see if it ran into any trouble, correct whatever it complained
> about, and let it try again the next evening.

I think you're better-off building binary packages at night and
installing them during the day.  I'm not really keen on having Portage
do whatever it wants.  It doesn't happen all that often but sometimes
I end up with a proposed downgrade that I'd prefer that it not do.

I can't tell you who I stole this script from (one of the lists):

#!/bin/sh

LIST=$(mktemp);

emerge -puD --changed-use --color=n --columns --quiet=y --changed-deps
--with-bdeps=n world | awk '{print $2}' > ${LIST}

for PACKAGE in $(cat ${LIST});
do
 printf "Building binary package for ${PACKAGE}... "
 emerge -uN --quiet-build --quiet=y --buildpkgonly ${PACKAGE};
 if [[ $? -eq 0 ]];
 then
   echo "ok";
 else
   echo "failed";
 fi
done

It can only get one level deep when there are dependencies.  So, if
you have a KDE update you'll still do a lot of building during the
day.  But, at least you won't be building kdelibs.  And this is really
nice when chromium comes along with an update.

--
Rich