On 16/08/2016 20:04, Mick wrote:
> The longest I've taken to update a server was around 6 months - I was
> planning
> to retire it, but plans changed.  If anything it tested my memory, because I
> came across each and every problem I had come across when I was updating my
> other systems in the previous 6 months.  ;-)

I went three years once. But I got lucky, if you recall portage
development speeded up a lot 2 years or so ago and was far less busy
before that. I did that update at the tail end of the less busy period.
Took about 2 weeks :-)

And I did come across all the same problems you mention. I did it mostly
to prove to myself I still have what it takes, but it sure wasn't worth
it for any other reason. The box gets updated about monthly now - it has
a small number of routine arch packages found on a LAN, and updates
maybe 20 or so packages a month.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com