On 16/08/2016 18:40, Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 11:43 AM, Peter Humphrey <pe...@prh.myzen.co.uk>
> wrote:
>> On Tuesday 16 Aug 2016 16:58:20 hw wrote:
>>
>>> The messages are cryptic, and you have to guess what they are trying to
>>> tell you.
>>
>> *Guess?* Good God, man. You don't guess - you use your experience and your
>> logical reasoning to deduce likely cause and effect.
>>

> Well, on this one I have to admit I sometimes feel like I'm breaking
> on the divining rods when I get errors from portage.  I don't think
> anybody is really satisfied with them.  The devs have been doing what
> they can to improve this but I think the issue is that portage often
> realizes that something is wrong, but it can't really tell what.
> Often this is the result of poor developer practices.  Just as often
> adding --backtrack to the options fixes it.

I've trained my brain to recognize familiar output and mentally map what
occurred the last time to the present time :-)

I have also noticed that very often the bit that looks like an error is
actually just info (think --verbose) and the real cause is often
obscured inside a longer sentence.

Practice I guess.

--
Alan McKinnon