On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 11:43 AM, Peter Humphrey <pe...@prh.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 Aug 2016 16:58:20 hw wrote:
>
>> The messages are cryptic, and you have to guess what they are trying to
>> tell you.
>
> *Guess?* Good God, man. You don't guess - you use your experience and your
> logical reasoning to deduce likely cause and effect.

Well, on this one I have to admit I sometimes feel like I'm breaking
on the divining rods when I get errors from portage.  I don't think
anybody is really satisfied with them.  The devs have been doing what
they can to improve this but I think the issue is that portage often
realizes that something is wrong, but it can't really tell what.
Often this is the result of poor developer practices.  Just as often
adding --backtrack to the options fixes it.

--
Rich