On 04/05/2017 12:22 PM, Kai Krakow wrote:
> Am Wed, 5 Apr 2017 09:40:32 -0600
> schrieb the...@sys-concept.com:

[snip]

>> The problem with the cable was incorrect cross-over, the cable was
>> installed by a contractor few years back and terminated by them.
>>
>> When I initially tested the cable with cable tester one end was
>> connected to a switch I connected the tester to another and all the
>> lights were working in order.  Wrong assumption.
>> The switch will respond to any ping and give a false readout.
>
> May I suggest that you use the active part of the tester always on the
> side where the switch would be connected? This sorts out such
> problems. ;-)

I think this cable tester was only designed to work with passive
receiver (that came with it) on the other end.
Using active part with switch doesn't give meaningful reading, it only
confirm that that are no broken wires inside.

>> I suppose to connect one end to transmitter and the other end to the
>> receiver (that came with it) and I've noticed incorrect order.
>> From Left:
>> Orange/White
>> Orange
>> Blue/Stripe
>> Blue
>> Green/Stripe
>> Green
>> Brown/Strip
>> Brown
>>
>> Re-termination fixed the problem.
>
> Good that you found it. Does it work correctly now?

It was late last night, so I didn't have a chance to test it, but will
do it this week.

--
Thelma