Am Wed, 5 Apr 2017 14:25:17 -0600
schrieb the...@sys-concept.com:

> On 04/05/2017 12:22 PM, Kai Krakow wrote:
> > Am Wed, 5 Apr 2017 09:40:32 -0600
> > schrieb the...@sys-concept.com:
> >
> [snip]
> >>
> >> The problem with the cable was incorrect cross-over, the cable was
> >> installed by a contractor few years back and terminated by them.
> >>
> >> When I initially tested the cable with cable tester one end was
> >> connected to a switch I connected the tester to another and all the
> >> lights were working in order.  Wrong assumption.
> >> The switch will respond to any ping and give a false readout.
> >
> > May I suggest that you use the active part of the tester always on
> > the side where the switch would be connected? This sorts out such
> > problems. ;-)
>
> I think this cable tester was only designed to work with passive
> receiver (that came with it) on the other end.
> Using active part with switch doesn't give meaningful reading, it only
> confirm that that are no broken wires inside.

No it does not. Switches and other devices may act upon such signals in
any way possible, e.g. being broken after attaching such a tester.

That is one reason why I recommended to use the active part of the
tester on the side where the switch would be connected: It forces you
to unplug the cable from the switch and plug it into the tester.

--
Regards,
Kai

Replies to list-only preferred.