A few months ago, I attempted to install an Ogg Vorbis based "broadcast
station" in my house (for use only by the residents of the house - sometimes we
all like to hear the same music, and sometimes we don't). The Vorbis stuff
seemed solid - except it didn't have streaming ability (at least not a few
months ago). There was only one track (of Enya) that wouldn't decode properly -
but that could very well have been the fault of the original copy I had. So I
was very pleased with the Vorbis code (except for the lack of streaming - but I
really didn't need that for the house at the time).

The real problems were in getting icecast to be something close to reliable. It
crashed or hung at least 3 times a day (on a good day), and I could only get a
single channel to stream.  Keep in mind that all this was on the Linux
implementation - I understand the windows implementation was a lot more
reliable.

If things have become more reliable (in the "production/stable" releases)- I'd
like to know, and I'd like to know how they got it to be so - its worth a talk
at one of the chapters. But I'm afraid that Ogg Vorbis and Icecast aren't ready
for NHPR yet. The developers still need to chew on them a bit more.

--Bruce
PS: Vorbis and Icecast both have Windows and Linux implementations.

For the latest CodeMeta news, go to http://www.codemeta.com/news .
For my personal news, go to http://www.milessmithfarm.net/news .