From: Jon Greenberg [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2001 3:46 PM
To: Tom Rauschenbach (E-mail 2)
Subject: FW: NHPR bitcasts

-----Original Message-----
From: Jon Greenberg
Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2001 1:07 PM
To: 'Tom Rauschenbach'
Subject: RE: NHPR bitcasts

Tom,

I love debate.  Send it out.  BTW, I am fully aware the Real Audio is
proprietary and that Real Audio has cooked its own goose in many respects.
I also know that there are MP3 options and that PI is looking into those.

For purposes of discussion, we should note here that a 75% solution may be
better in the short run than no solution at all.  Real Audio is immediately
available on the a la carte menu of PI.

Also, an MP3 option might be totally open source and OS independent but I
know that PI is wrestling with ongoing maintenance costs that they feel they
don't have right now with Real Audio.  I have no opinion on the merits of
PI's case, but I know that they raise the issue.

Finally, I wonder how the streaming community wants to handle the cost of
bandwidth? The economics of online audio distribution are the inverse of
broadcast.  In broadcast, whether we have 10 listeners or 100,000, the
distribution costs remain the same.  In streaming, each listener increases
our costs.  We have a pretty good deal with PI, especially considering all
the other online services we get through them, but our overage costs us at
the rate of a penny a MB.

What would you do?  What would be fair and consistent with the mission of
public broadcasting?

Jon