----- Original Message -----
From: Bruce Dawson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: Marc Evans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2001 8:41 AM
Subject: Re: NHPR bitcasts

> Their most recent response (I'm
> looking for my copy of those messages now) was that Microsoft was a
significant
> contributor to NHPR,

Likely they are a contributor of software as well as dollars and this helps
generate the vicious cycle.

>and that the volume of requests for Real Audio was too
> small. (I wonder how many requests they got for Microsoft's Player versus
how
> many requests they got for just a live audio stream).

Bingo!  Its not as if there was a poll as to which product to use.  They
picked one used by most people and then can claim quite correctly, surprise,
that not many people ask for anything else.  Its all about the majority
governs.  This rule applies in many areas and places where it shouldn't, but
there it is.  Governs means the minority on an issue have no say and
essentially do not exist.

Its a non-issue to me because I only listen to the Car Guys occasionally as
well as news sporadically. I will never contribute to fund the current
format which is banal beyond words. IMHO the world did not need more talk
radio even if erudite in the minds of some. Their comment that if people
want to listen to music they can get it over the Internet was ignorant and
profoundly stupid. Hmmmm.  I guess I feel more strongly about this than I
thought.

IMHO getting Open Source used in schools and local non-profits is a task
worth taking on as opposed to fencing with these turkeys.

Ed Lawson