A couple of months ago I wrote to NHPR <http://www.nhpr.org>
complaining that I couldn't listen to their online bitcasts because they
broadcast using only Windows' bitcasting software.  I expressed some
surprise that they weren't supporting all listeners and by their choice
were supporting a company convicted of enforcing a monopoly, blah, blah, blah.

    I got a reply back that they had few complaints about their Microsoft
bitcasting software, and that they would look into the matter.

    Yesterday I received a combination pledge request/answer.  They wrote:

- - - snip - - -
At some point in the past 6 months or so you sent us a request that we
offer the Real Audio option for our live stream.  We'd like to deliver.
We offer Real and Windows Media for our archived audio; it makes sense to
do the same for our live stream.

The only catch is a fairly modest amount of money.  Steve Bothwick, our IT
guy, and I figure that it will cost us at least $2,000 to set this up.
That includes the charges we would pay to Public Interactive, the firm
that provides our streaming, and our set-up costs here at NHPR, both
internally and on our web site. The $2,000 is a one-time fee.

I don't know if all of the people on the Real Audio list gave during the
most recent membership drive but I hope you will see the Real Audio issue
as the thing apart because quite frankly, we've only received about 20
requests for Real Audio live streaming.

What I'd like to propose is some very targeted giving.  Please let me know
if you would be willing to contribute to this specific goal of offering
Real Audio live streaming.  Let me know how much you would be able to give
and whether you would want to pass this note along to others whom you
think share your interest in Real Audio.

If I see that the response is strong enough, I'll get back to you and we
will make this happen.  If the response falls short, I'll get back to you
and let you know that as well.

If you can think of a better way to handle this, feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Jon Greenberg
Senior Editor/Dir. of New Media
- - - snip - - -

    Now, the way I see it, the problem is two-fold: First, I don't like
the fact that I can't listen to NHPR because I run GNU/Linux.  But
secondly, there's the entire concept of broadcasting this in a proprietary
format -- IMHO, Real Audio is only a small improvement over the Windows
bitcasting.

    Does anyone have an experience with bitcasting with IceCast, the Ogg
Vorbis-embraced bitcasting software?

--
  Regards, | Need help with educational technology?