I exchanged a lot of email with NHPR on this matter a few weeks ago during their
fund drive. (I sent them a message during their spring fund drive indicating that
we were witholding our donations until they had a solution that wasn't specific
to Microsoft and similar messages more recently.) Their most recent response (I'm
looking for my copy of those messages now) was that Microsoft was a significant
contributor to NHPR, and that the volume of requests for Real Audio was too
small. (I wonder how many requests they got for Microsoft's Player versus how
many requests they got for just a live audio stream).

I think we're running into a bureaucratic head-wedgedness here - probably related
to being more concerned about getting funding than where the funding comes from
and any agendas (explicit or de-facto) behind that funding.

Marc had a good idea about going to NHPR and showing them some possible
solutions. However, I seem to remember some people trying this earlier (last
spring) and getting rebuffed by NHPR. I think the fact that NHPR is outsourcing
their streaming has something to do with this.

On the whole, I'm very much discouraged with this and feel that NHPR/NPR is
playing the old corporate games rather than looking for new "markets" or doing
their share to stem the influence of monopolies in our society.

If my employment situation and the economy were different, I'd just donate the
$2K and be done with it (they mentioned $2500 a few weeks ago, so the price
appears to be going down). But that wouldn't solve the problem of making
Microsoft's monopoly even bigger or more potent.

--Bruce

For the latest CodeMeta news, go to http://www.codemeta.com/news .
For my personal news, go to http://www.milessmithfarm.net/news .