To: <hlds_linux@list.valvesoftware.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2010 2:45 AM
Subject: [hlds_linux] High FPS?

Can anyone, technically, tell me what high FPS is supposed to do? After
reading through the technical documents on valve's site, there is no mention
to server FPS in any performance context, at all. The only thing it mentions
is how the server tickrate influences precision of operations. I do know
that tickrate needs 1 frame for simulation, on newer engines 66hz needs 1
frame for each hz, so 66fps are required. On high FPS servers like 1000fps
and above, what are the other 933 'frames' doing? I can understand everyone
wants low latency, what the hell does a 10,000FPS server do better than a
1,000FPS server, besides suck up massive amounts of CPU, for syscalls?

Valid reasons should be some kind of code (a plugin that measures latency or
bullet spread and prints the numbers for measurement), or <insert technical
discussion here>

Invalid reasons are the following:

- It feels better / I can kill people better
- http://www.fpsmeter.org/p,faq.html
- Realtime kernels make the FPS more steady
- Larger number are always better

In the event of misdirection, illegible or incomplete transmission please
telephone +44 845 868 1337
or return the E.mail to postmas...@multiplay.co.uk.