On 25/01/2014 23:53, Bottiger wrote:
You rather asinine tags
We don't have any tags like that. Rather typical of you to make false
claims, unfortunately some here probably take your asinine postings
seriously.

Ah my mistake, I thought you were lotus. Apologies.

You can't have it both ways, either your servers are so much better and
This change does not allow community servers to fairly compete with Valve
servers when they get all the new players.

They don't "get all the new players" I found and played on numerous servers
years before quickplay was added.

There have been people on the list in the past who have tried to give
the impression that using the server browser is evidence of being gifted
and talented, let's not go down that path again.

But TBH, if you want a server that's worth playing on you don't really want
players that can't fathom how to find and connect to servers - and you
probably don't really want new players that not only can't play but
don't even know where to begin playing.

Valve have always taken these via quickplay, even before the checkbox, because
they weighted the joining based upon hours in the game, and
the reputation of Valve's servers has suffered as a result -
i.e even the weakest players will still express the idea that
Valve servers are "full of noobs" - not entirely true (because
a fair number of people join them directly and have significant
time in the game) but not entirely false either - clearly
Valve's weighting created servers full of people who
cannot play - and it still is doing.

But, you could do a ton of things to improve skial servers.
At least the few I've played on.

e.g much of the time your 2fort servers are full of people having "parties"
in the sewers, red and blu together, and not even playing.

But I suppose you only care how many people you have connected
and decide, as mister mckay is trying to in the other post that
if someone connects they think it's good.

Wrong. I've played on your servers a lot and,
without wanting a big long argument about it, I think
they suck. The saving grace you have is, most of the
other servers suck most of the time too.

What you can do about that - probably nothing.
The servers suck or are good because of the players, not
because of anything you do or don't do.

I play for that small percentage of the time when you
get a decent round - and it's getting a smaller and smaller
percentage - because Valve redesigned the game to
be an item collecting one instead of a class-based FPS.

I play on Valve servers (when they are around, which
is often not the case, hence why I end up connecting
to servers that suck for a few weeks) mostly because the vanilla round
times mean, if you hop from server to server, you get an actual game of TF2.

24 people (well, minus the spies and snipers) all trying to cap the intelligence
or stop the other team doing it, until the team I am on wins.

Or cap the point in koth, or whatever the objective is. I tend to play CTF because given a pub community where half the server aren't interested, you can at least
still play CTF, the other game modes don't work well if people don't play.

The worst thing about the vanilla game is the dumb scrambling at 2-0,
but there are no 3rd party servers that fix that, they nearly all make it worse
with ill thought out plugins.

But I digress, tl;dr, there's nothing stopping playing from finding and connecting to your servers as before and, if Valve's servers are full of new players, that's exactly what they will do - my advice would be, make your servers somewhere where it's worth playing TF2 and don't assume that because someone plays on your server they must think it's great - 90% of what makes a server good or bad is down to who else is on it, but the 10% most server admins get wrong imo - it's just they all suck at it (because they copy each other)

--
Dan