In <4e2f48fa.8010...@bcs.org.uk>, on 07/27/2011
   at 12:08 AM, CM Poncelet <ponce...@bcs.org.uk> said:

>But the exit points 'count' as program DCBs

NFW; they count as exits. The actual priority order is:

   DSCB1
   JFCB[1]
   DCB
   Changes made by DCB Exit

regardless of whether it is input or output.

>as they execute first

No.

>and override what is in the JCL.

Some do, some don't.

>I don't check "Using Data Sets";

That was your first mistake.

>but that is how things were in the days of MVS OS/VS SP1 (1985):

There was no such animal. That wasn't the way that OS/360, OS/VS1,
OS/VS2 R1, OS/VS2 MVS, MVS/SP or any subsequent version of MVS
behaved.

[1] Initially from JCL.