Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) wrote:

In <4e2f48fa.8010...@bcs.org.uk>, on 07/27/2011
  at 12:08 AM, CM Poncelet <ponce...@bcs.org.uk> said:

But the exit points 'count' as program DCBs

they 'count' as program DCBs is short-speak for 'they are executable code' (as opposed to JCL and DASD)

NFW; they count as exits. The actual priority order is:

  DSCB1
  JFCB[1]
  DCB
  Changes made by DCB Exit

regardless of whether it is input or output.

I know that; but on input they do not override the DCB from DASD - and that is regardless of their order

as they execute first

No.

'short-speak' for they 'they are part of program code execution' in the 'program -> JCL -> DASD' sequence (... and before you tell me that exits do not have to be part of a program, I know that too)

and override what is in the JCL.

Some do, some don't.

I am speaking within the context of the priority order of DCBs in the 'program -> JCL -> DASD' sequence

I don't check "Using Data Sets";

That was your first mistake.

I don't need to check "Using Data Sets" (I did that more than 25 years ago .... or the 'equivalent of ditto' before you say "Using Data Sets" was not being published more than 25 years ago). Galileo did not need to check "the Bible" either before he said the earth was not at the center of the universe: was that his first mistake?

but that is how things were in the days of MVS OS/VS SP1 (1985):

There was no such animal. That wasn't the way that OS/360, OS/VS1,
OS/VS2 R1, OS/VS2 MVS, MVS/SP or any subsequent version of MVS
behaved.

in that case it was one of OS/VS1 to MVS/SP (I don't spend time remembering these things, except vaguely)

[1] Initially from JCL.

I know that..

I think you are splitting hairs for the sake of arguing ...