At least for question 1, go find a manual called the "Principles of
Operations".  You can search the IBM website by that name and then download
it to read.

The BCP is nothing more than the core MVS components.  MVS is comprised of
many subsystems, each doing a specialized function.  The "Kernel" in your
terms is the MVS Nucleus, which controls the activity between the many
subsystems.

There are many CPu's on a Z-series.  Some have as few as one, some have as
many as 54.  The BCP runs on all of them at the same time.

For answers to questions 2 and 3, you might try searching the IBM Journal,
and the IBM Journal of Research and Developement.  Machine architectures
change every few years, so the answers depend on the type of machine you are
interested in.

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 15:46:27 -0400, Kuredjian, Michael
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I'm currently in University on my Co-op term as a COBOL programmer for host
systems (zOS). I have a few basic questions regarding the zArchitecture that
I can't seem to elicit answers to from my co-workers. The questions are as
follows:

>1. zOS has a kernel called the BCP, or Base Control Program. In Linux or
Windows, it's established that the kernel runs on a general purpose CPU(
PowerPC, x86, MIPS, etc...); however, I would like to know if such a central
CPU exists in the mainframe,  and if that central CPU is of some common
architecture like, POWER. If not, are there any documents that I can look
into that will describe the CPU architecture for me?

>2. ESCON and FICON are data busses used for external storage devices, but
what does the mainframe use for internal data bus, InfiniBand, HyperTransport?

>3. Does the mainframe use common interconnects on the hardware level? I'm
thinking of PCIe, PCI-X, MCA, or PCI.

>That's all for now, but I'm sure subsequent answers will generate follow-up
questions on my part. Thanks for taking the time to read this!