Hi Rolf

This is interesting but not what I can really discuss about, but I'd
contribute one or two hints:

One really nice thing (I've seen it in other tree viewers) would be
the ability for the user to pull a node and have the whole thing
rearrange dynamically. That's a force field and Jmol already does
this with dragMinimze.
However, probably not easy to achieve seeing the complexity of your
trees (i.e. many "bonds" tied to an "atom").

> Q: Does JSmol allow that an atom is part of more than one residue or
> would this interfere with something?

Quick answer: no atom can belong to 2 residues.

But I would forget about "residues". I'd just define Jmol variables
as atom sets and assign each node to as many of them as you wish
(using a script).
It is as easy to select by user variables / atomsets as by residue.
Another possibility is to assign custom atom properties, instead of
atom sets.