Rolf,

> Would it be possible without too much trouble and work to extend the
> current "group" property by a "grouplist" property that would enable to
> put an atom into multiple groupsand integrating this seamlessly into the
> current group concept?

To me, that sounds exactly like setting a new, user-defined, atom property.
That's what I was suggesting previously.

however, you said that would work very slowly for subsequent action/selection.
I am not sure about this, but I do not see a reason why a group property would
be faster than a user property.