On 10/07/2014 04:50 PM, Angel Herráez wrote:
> Hi Rolf
>
> This is interesting but not what I can really discuss about, but I'd
> contribute one or two hints:
>
> One really nice thing (I've seen it in other tree viewers) would be
> the ability for the user to pull a node and have the whole thing
> rearrange dynamically. That's a force field and Jmol already does
> this with dragMinimze.
> However, probably not easy to achieve seeing the complexity of your
> trees (i.e. many "bonds" tied to an "atom").

Yes, Angel. It would be one of the next steps to make the layout
directly editable by the user. It could be completely manually or
manually-directed like you describe it. But for this you need a
reasonable initial layout. I will keep this in mind if I ever get past
the first step.

>> Q: Does JSmol allow that an atom is part of more than one residue or
>> would this interfere with something?
>
> Quick answer: no atom can belong to 2 residues.
>
> But I would forget about "residues". I'd just define Jmol variables
> as atom sets and assign each node to as many of them as you wish
> (using a script).
> It is as easy to select by user variables / atomsets as by residue.
> Another possibility is to assign custom atom properties, instead of
> atom sets.

That is what I do within the 'Jena3D Viewer' for the different mappings
(SAPs/SNPs, PROSITE motifs etc.). And from there I know that commands
can be very slowly this way. Handling for example several hundred SNPs
by using sets already takes quite some time (see for example
http://jenalib.fli-leibniz.de/cgi-bin/3d_mapping.pl?CODE=1A00&APPLET=HTML5).
And in the network viewer the number of sets would potentially be much
higher. It will also require to rebuild a lot of built-in functions to
get similar (slower) functionalities.

Regards,
Rolf
--

Rolf Huehne
Postdoc

Leibniz Institute for Age Research - Fritz Lipmann Institute (FLI)
Beutenbergstrasse 11
07745 Jena, Germany

Phone:   +49 3641 65 6205
Fax:     +49 3641 65 6210
E-Mail:  rhue...@fli-leibniz.de
Website: http://www.fli-leibniz.de

           Scientific Director: Prof. Dr. K. Lenhard Rudolph
        Head of Administration: Dr. Daniele Barthel
Chairman of Board of Trustees: Dennys Klein

VAT No: DE 153 925 464
Register of Associations: No. 230296, Amtsgericht Jena
Tax Number: 162/141/08228