A couple of things that haven't been mentioned in this thread yet.

1) Niekisch was a Marxist who, because of this, spent WW II in jail and
later lived in the DDR for a while. This fact alone would cause him to
dislike any pro-individual, anti-State position. His charge of
"nihilism" against Juenger probably comes as much from this as from
anything else.A Fascist like Evola could make the same charge, and for
essentially the same reasons.

2) The meaning of words can change over time, and probably no group of
words is more susceptible to this than political labels like
"conservatism". "Conservatism" in 1920s Germany probably isn't the same
as "conservatism" in 1960s Germany any more than the "conservatism" in
the 1960s US is the same as the "conservatism" in the US today.

The historical and biographical background of Juenger's writings is
important for their evaluation and interpretation, and Juenger clearly
changed his mind on some things during his long life. For now I have
decided not to read any of Juenger's writings prior to the second
version of Das abenteurliche Herz, partly to keep the amount of material
under control, and partly to keep from having to deal with evaluating
his changes of positions while having to read him in German, with the
possibility of misinterpretation due to faulty reading or a
misunderstood idiom or reference. (I also need to read more on WW I and
the Weimar Republic before dealing with his early writings, as my
knowledge of these periods of German history is poor.)

Pinning down Juenger's final position, or even the evolution of his
thinking, is necessary before deciding that this or that position that
he took is applicable to one's own life. This is. perhaps, one of the
main reasons for this list.

John

Simon Friedrich wrote:

> Joel, an anarch spends his energy and time sparingly and according to
> his own judgement of what merits its expenditure. None of us have
> enough energy to get involved in all the battles and opportunities
> that come our way. For me, the discussion of Niekisch's estimation of
> Juenger is a waste of time in comparison with subjects I find of
> greater relevence.
>
> But forgive me if, in a moment of irritation, I projected my
> priorities onto those of other anarchs.
>
> I agree - an anarch evaluates the relevance of ideas on their own
> merits. But HE does it, and precisely for that reason he doesn't feel
> obliged to evaluate every other opinion on that thinker. He may, but
> he certainly does not feel it behooves him because someone says it
> does. All externals are only accessories to him forming his own
> understanding - they are not sacred because others give them that
> name. And when they are dispensable, he doesn't waste his time with them.
>
> I only enter arguments that I can think I can benefit from. Do I
> misjudge the value of this Niekisch argument? So be it. I hope you
> find others who respond to your interest in it - certainly, IF one
> felt obliged to defend Juenger, then the points you make below would
> be good ones to follow. But I don't feel that obligation - is someone
> on trial here?
>
> "The Truth? None of my business." I know what I think and that is what
> counts for me.
>
> Simon
> http://ernst-juenger.blogspot.com <http://ernst-juenger.blogspot.com>

<snip>