On Apr 5, 2007, at 1:26 PM, Gregory K. Ruiz-Ade wrote:

As such, Helge should have been more careful, and not (presumably) put an email address in the Subject: header of an email sent to a mailing list. I can't seem to find the email in question. When was it sent? What was the Message-ID?

I still haven't found the message (dated today, not the original thread) which you say included me in the recipients. To be clear, if someone can cough up the Message-ID for today's message, not the original thread, that'd be great.

We DO NOT CONTROL who, outside of KPLUG's control, has set up or configured archives of our lists. Therefor, the best we can do is delete this person's email from our own archives. However, if Google's already snatched it, there's nothing we can do until it expires from Google's cache.

Well, I would say *the gripe is valid* in that that our archives have a raw email address in the subject line, and that could be (and maybe has)
been harvested by spambots.

This isn't necessarily easy to fix. I'm not sure how the original email which turned into the "... spam on your domain" -steer thread was sent. If it was sent using a "contact us" form on the old web site, or via a Plone "contact us" thingy, we'll have to look into fixing that mechanism or just plain be more careful about forwarding messages to the lists which may contain potentially private information.

I guess the software has a mechanism to [mildly] obfuscate email
addresses from data -- but (I would guess) it probably doesn't try to
modify anything in subject or body.

I believe it already does this for To: From: and CC: headers. I belive pipermail restricts its address mangling to those portions of the email in order to minimize the damage it can do to the contents of an email. Honestly, email addresses just don't belong in Subject: headers, anyway.

Perhaps there's a setting we can adjust for address obfuscation, but I'd be surprised to find one.

..it seems reasonable to me that it would be worthwhile (and cheap) to look for and _fix_ addresses that inadvertently get into subject lines.

I haven't looked at how pipermail stores messages, but if someone has the extra time, I'm sure we can correct it for this thread. That still doesn't help the fact that:

* it's likely already been scraped

* it's likely already in Google

* other people have set up non-official archives of Kernel-Panic lists with other services.

There's really nothing we can do about these issues.

I suspect it is a rare occurrence, but still might be useful.

To my knowledge, this has been the only occurrence.

As an aside, it might also be useful to have our own little page of
recommendations, reminders, and maybe even <sigh> rules that we can
refer users to.

First, if you're going to use an email address, it's going to get out. No matter how careful you are, accidents happen (both human and technical), and getting your knickers in a twist about it is just a waste of time. Between my email addresses and participation on things like linux-kernel (back when), my addresses are easily found and as a result get plenty of spam. At least 800 messages/day in spam. Sadly, it's just a part of life on teh intarwebs.

Can anybody comment on how/whether subject-diddling might be done?

I'm sure one of the regular-expression gurus here can come up with something.

Also, should we respond somehow to Helge?

Helge found our archives, and is presumably following this there. :)

Honestly, a simple, "Sorry about that, we'll see about cleaning the messages to which you referred. Have a nice day," would do.

Gregory

--
Gregory K. Ruiz-Ade <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
OpenPGP Key ID: EAF4844B  keyserver: pgpkeys.mit.edu

KPLUG-Steer@kernel-panic.org