The only thing that I can say about underground fencing is to make sure that
you do a VERY good job of training him to the boundaries. Countless dogs come
into the shelters with electric fence collars on because the dog ran out
chasing something (the prey drive overcame the fear of the shock) and then they
are afraid to come back into the yard. I have also known a few people who,
after the dog was shocked once wouldn't go outside for fear of being shocked
again. My good friend just finished having to re-potty train her dog after it
got shocked and didn't want to go outside.
    That said, aside for that one instance with my friends dog, all of their
other dogs do really well with them and it is nice to be able to have them
outside more often than if you just had a tie out or leash walks. I would LOVE
to be able to put one in but I have a VERY prey driven border collie who is a
cat killer and we have a lot of cats that roam in our area.
 Good luck,
    Abbie

buttafamily5 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:                                  Hi all,

 We have a very quiet large yard bordered by woods and a golf course --
 but I still need to have the peace of mind of keeping Dempsey from
 wandering off now that spring is here and we will be spending more
 time outside. So I am looking at different containment systems, but
 there are so many and I find it all a bit over-whelming. There are the
 buried wire invisible fencing type with the collar. Like this:

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441775933&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302032911&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&bmUID=1175002906655&itemNo=0&In=Dog&N=2032911&Ne=2

 OR this:
 http://www.gundogsupply.com/prf-3004w-.html

 OR the hand-held remote type of trainers like this:
 http://www.gundogsupply.com/iut-300.html

 I like the price of the walkie-talkie type. But I want something that
 if I'm not watching him every second while outside, it will keep him
 in the yard. I'm not sure if these do that. Does anyone know the
 difference and  can advise as to what brand or what exactly will work
 for us. Dempsey is about 25 pounds and generally stays with us when
 outside, but if something catches his interest, like a bird or a
 blowing leaf, he will start to get further away. An actual fence is
 not practical for us. I know someone here was talking about this
 earlier. Thanks so very much! I can't wait to let him romp outside
 when the mud dries and the temps warm a little!

 Donna

  Abigail S. Morrison

   Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. ~Thomas Jefferson~

The fish are biting.