From: Carol Dean
Date: 3/27/2007 11:06:25 AM
To: labradoodles@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [labradoodles] Advice on Electric trainers and/or fences

My german shorthair pointer is the reason i put the fence in to begin with..
...LONG before I started doodling......She killed at least 10 neiborhood
cats and had a warrent out for her arrest.  I had to fork out a couple of
thousand dollars worth of medical vet bills for the neigbors animals.......
Her prey drive was feroucious......if it hissed at her it was going to DIE!
;(

She is my only dog on the highest shock orf 10 with 10 after shocks if she
decides to pass through it......I also took the warning beep-s off all my
collars since these dogs think their are so SMART and have figured out if it
didn't beep the fence, was not on.......hmmmm
So now they just don't know, if the batteries are dead or if there is a
power failure or a short in the line......and stay put.......:)

I have sold more of these things than I can tell you.  When people come to
pick up thi dogs running along the fence line but not getting in the road
they are amazed....they actually will run along side a jogger, just stay
within 10 feet inside of out property line.......

Our horse has figured out if she stands by the fence the dogs will leave her
alone..hehehe

Carol

www.southerncharmlabradoodles.com

Abigail Morrison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
The only thing that I can say about underground fencing is to make sure that
you do a VERY good job of training him to the boundaries. Countless dogs
come into the shelters with electric fence collars on because the dog ran
out chasing something (the prey drive overcame the fear of the shock) and
then they are afraid to come back into the yard. I have also known a few
people who, after the dog was shocked once wouldn't go outside for fear of
being shocked again. My good friend just finished having to re-potty train
her dog after it got shocked and didn't want to go outside.
    That said, aside for that one instance with my friends dog, all of their
other dogs do really well with them and it is nice to be able to have them
outside more often than if you just had a tie out or leash walks. I would
LOVE to be able to put one in but I have a VERY prey driven border collie
who is a cat killer and we have a lot of cats that roam in our area.
 Good luck,
    Abbie

buttafamily5 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi all,

We have a very quiet large yard bordered by woods and a golf course --
but I still need to have the peace of mind of keeping Dempsey from
wandering off now that spring is here and we will be spending more
time outside. So I am looking at different containment systems, but
there are so many and I find it all a bit over-whelming. There are the
buried wire invisible fencing type with the collar. Like this:
http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp him every second while
outside, it will keep him
in the yard. I'm not sure if these do that. Does anyone know the
difference and can advise as to what brand or what exactly will work
for us. Dempsey is about 25 pounds and generally stays with us when
outside, but if something catches his interest, like a bird or a
blowing leaf, he will start to get further away. An actual fence is
not practical for us. I know someone here was talking about this
earlier. Thanks so very much! I can't wait to let him romp outside
when the mud dries and the temps warm a little!

Donna

Abigail S. Morrison

 Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. ~Thomas Jefferson~

The fish are biting.