To: <lazarus@miraclec.com>
Sent: Sunday, May 14, 2006 5:26 AM
Subject: Re: [lazarus] Request for PR noise !

Just a few thoughts (MHOs):

* The success of Lazarus depends on the support for doing
useful things in a reliable, nice and easy way - the name is
not so important.

* Lazarus is/will be on the radar screen of the Delphi users
in the first place. These could want to use it because of the
multiplatform support, because it is free (which Delphi
might become too!) and because of the Unicode support (when,
sometime in the future, it perhaps becomes available also
for win32).

* However named, the name will become known through the
unique qualities of the system and not the other way around.
I believe it is already quite known, so that possible
positive impacts of the name change are questionable.

* Abandoning the relation to and the mention of Pascal
(because those not in the know regard it as a dead and
never-of-any-use language) does not seem acceptable to me.
You do not suppress the name of your religion, ideology,
your partner, etc. because there are some that have some
objections on its/his/her properties.

* Persons not acquainted with Christianity might have a
problem associating the name with anything in particular.
Those acquainted might associate it with the image of a man
coming out of the tomb - not my favorite image. Is the
current name unacceptable to people following other
religions? - I can not tell, but it would not be good, if
so.

* The name based on a mythologycal association would perhaps
be more widely acceptable than one based on religious
association. In this respect, the concept of the Firebird
would perhaps be more suitable. That one is, however,
already being used for a very good open source DBMS (as most
of us know).

About firebirds: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_bird_(mythology)
Any ideas?

* Finally, what about an acronym: