On Wednesday 17 May 2006 18:24, m2 wrote:
> Dale Welch a écrit :
> > Perhaps we better rename Pascal...
> > after all... what does "Pascal" mean?
> > It Means Passover.  It's a Jewish (Christian - Easter) holiday.    :-)
>
> "Pascal" comes from the name of the French mathematician, physician
> and philosopher, Blaise Pascal (1623-1662) who built a famous
> mechanical calculator.
>
> mm

Yes, I know this.
Blaize Pascal is a very famous christian having written pensees
which is also a theological treatise.

but his name comes directly from paschal which comes from passover
which is the jewish holiday celebrated at the time christians celebrate
what is now popularly called easter.  Jesus had gone to jerusalem for
the Paschal feast when he was arrested and killed.

i was just showing that even the language has a link even if most people
don't realize it.  And you might get someone who gets upset and claims
it's offensive to them.  But we have things named from many of the major
(& minor) religions since what people call "culture" is often a part of
some religion.  Just live with it.  :-)

---dale