Amazing POV :-)
I'm a complete atheist and still share much of you POV because Brazil
is largely (and my family is) Catholic (so I have some idea of what
these people IMHO-stupid people think. Unfortunately, I don't know
why,  intelligent + phylosophical + logicist <> atheist...)
And I almost ROFL when people say "OMG Lazarus isn't Lazarus anymore"
:-/ Of course project, site and many other things can keep the name
for any amount of time. But whatever, I'm not voting for a name
change, I'm just saying that arguments (for not chaging) have been
quite funnny...

-Flávio

On 5/19/06, m2 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] a écrit :
>  >[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
>      >Florian Klaempfl wrote:
>      >
>      >>Lv wrote:
>      >>
>      >>
>      >>>So if you guys want to change the name, where does it leave
>     users like
>      >>>me presenting papers at conferences and citing Lazarus in technical
>      >>>papers as my software of choice?
>      >>>
>      >>>
>      >>
>      >>Nice to hear that not all users believe into the imo stupid idea
>     to change the
>      >>name. I don't think either that the "board of directors" of
>     lazarus (Michael H.,
>      >> Matthias, Marc, Vincents, Micha et al.) consider a name change :)
>      >>
>      >>
>      >Just for the record, I also think a name change is uncalled for. A
>     name
>      >change would have serious consequences - and we could start promoting
>      >everything from zero since the new name will be even less known then
>      >Lazarus. The word Lazarus is neither offensive or more ambiguous than
>      >other well known projects and companies.
>      >
>      >One more comment: Cheetah is the simbol of FPC, not lazarus. A
>     cheetah
>      >on a column is Lazarus. Now you don't see anyone calling FPC cheetah,
>      >nor calling Linux Pinguin.
>
>     I agree with Andreas (and thank the "board of directors" and their
>     fine insight in dismissing this idea as being a total waste of time
>     and effort)

Which "fine insight"? Calling it a "stupid idea" is a "fine
insight"? ;-)

>     The drawbacks from a name change are phenomenal!!!

Even without the "!!!", it would be exaggerated.

>         1) Loss of current user base who don't keep up on the mailing
>     list and all of sudden can't find their product under the name they
>     know (and hopefully love)

What is your estimate of the average IQ of a current user? :-)

>         2) Loss of new user base. I have actively promoted Lazarus,
>     whenever asked, as a great tool/environment with my contacts. Don't
>     know how many have looked at it yet, but I'm going to be very
>     embarrassed if they do finally take my advice and check it out, and
>     it's called something different than what I was advertising.

That's the contrary, there will be more new users more quickly
(assuming the new name is good). Moreover, why all that panic around
a simple change of name. That's a current practice. Many software
editors make use of temporary names for the beta versions of their
softwares.

>         3) I suspect would require a lot of effort in renaming all sorts
>     of directories/web sites/links, blah blah blah on a global basis

Yes, and this is the only valuable reason. A change of name could
lead to too much work in rewriting for the Lazarus team. This is a
problem because the possibility of a renaming has not been taken in
account when starting the project.

>         4) Same as #3 above on each existing users's personal computer(s)

Renaming once for all a few directories is not a problem.

>     All this for some "cosmetics"?

"Cosmetic"!? Some people are paid fortunes just to search for (and to
find) the name of a new product. Are you saying that companies who pay
them are wasting their money?

 > Much better that we quit talking
>     about this and get back to making a really great product that will
>     really "sell" itself based on it's stability and functionality, not
>     on whether it is called S__T or Lazarus.
>
>     Just my two cents. Let's get back to work making Lazarus GREAT!!!!!

Yes, and a change of name would be good in order to do that. Btw, why
do you present things as if we have to choose between either a good name
or a good quality. Asking for both of them, that's not possible?

I agree that if a software is useful and of good quality, good name or
bad name, it will be used. A bad name cannot kill a good software. But a
good name can help it. And "Lazarus" is indeed very bad. What does this
name suggest? Bringing back a death to the life. The first thing it
leads to think of is the death. This is totally negative. "Lazarus"
might be an appropriate name for a game where you have to destroy lots
of death-alive ones in catacombs but there we are talking about a Pascal
programming tool.

Note that I don't say that naming the software "Lazarus" was a "stupid
idea", no, I try to explain why I think it was a bad idea. "Stupid idea"
is not an explanation, it is at most a peremptory judgement. Personally,
and very frankly, I don't care whether the Lazarus team decides to
change the name or not. Now, I know and use Lazarus. For me its name has
no more importance, I know what is behind it. But this is not the case
for those who don't know it yet.

mm