--- "Hal V. Engel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Currently I have Linux, GIMP, Nikon D50 camera, ufraw, gutenprint,
> an
> > ICC profile for my monitor (generated with a hardware profiling
> tool
> > under windoze), an Epson R200 printer with a custom profile for the
> > ink/paper combination I'm using (generated by the ink
> manufacturer).
> You have likely seen the thread on this list titled "Workflow with
> LCMS".

I'll check that out, thanks...

> What hardware did you use to profile your monitor on Windows.  If it
> is the
> X-Rite DPT-94 then ArgyllCMS 0.6 has will work for monitor
> calibration and
> profiling on Linux.  This will allow you to get a profile and
> calibration
> that are correct for your setup.  The Windows profile is likely not
> correct
> but may be better than nothing.  If you want to use the Windows
> profile you
> should look into xcallib which is a gamma loader that will use the
> VCGT from
> the profile to setup the LUT in your video card.

Hmm, no, I have the Colorvision Spyder. I was rather assuming that if
the profiling was done on my monitor, being driven by my video card,
that it wouldn't care what was driving it (windoze or Linux) That might
be a problem though if that's not the case. I guess I'll have to suck
it and see.

> For profiling your camera you will need an IT8.7 target and some
> software.  I
> recommend the Wolf Faust C1 IT8.7 target for camera profiling.   I
> would also
> recommend LProf as your profiling software for this.  It includes a
> UFRAW
> profiling tutorial in it's help system.  Has a GUI and if fairly easy
> to use
> as these things go.

Aha, yes, that'll be a good starting point. Thanks. I noticed that I
don't seem to get very good input via ufraw by default. Using the
profile for a Nikon D70 (same sensor, so they say) seems to produce
much better results, but I wasn't sure if that was dumb luck. I'll look
into getting this setup first.

> I currently recommend CinePaint as your image editor.  It has full CM
> support
> and handles high bit depth images.

Also very valuable, thanks. I was hoping GIMP would do the job, but it
seems to be rather behind the curve wrt color manaement. This sounds
like a much better option.

> Is the custom printer profile generated from a target you printed
> using your
> work flow on your machine?  If not then it is likely not valid.
> Printer
> profiling is a very difficult undertaking and it also requires some
> fairly
> expensive equipment.  There may be others here that have experience
> with this
> using Linux and Guten-Print that could give you some pointers.

Actually, the process is this:

Go to mediastreet, buy ink (and perhaps paper) from them, download a
(two page) target image, print the image, mail it to them, then they
profile it (apparently on some expensive hardware, such as you
describe) then they return--and publish for general use by other
customers. So, yes, this was created on my very own hardware with my
favorite paper, so one hopes it's pretty accurate.

> There is a learning curve to all of this stuff so be prepared to
> struggle with
> all of this at least a little and some of it alot.  Start with the
> easier
> stuff first.  Camera profiling  is were I would recommend you start.
> Not too
> difficult and it is a the beginning of your work flow.  Then do what
> you can
> with your monitor and so on.

Yes, a learning curve indeed. But worth it, and your help will make
things easier. At least I've some clue which roads to try to go along,
and in which order.

Thanks,
Simon

http://mail.yahoo.com