On Saturday 05 August 2006 14:13, Simon Roberts wrote:
> --- "Hal V. Engel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
snip

> Hmm, no, I have the Colorvision Spyder. I was rather assuming that if
> the profiling was done on my monitor, being driven by my video card,
> that it wouldn't care what was driving it (windoze or Linux) That might
> be a problem though if that's not the case. I guess I'll have to suck
> it and see.

No support for this in Linux.  I contacted the vendor about getting interface
information for this device and they did to even get back to me.  So I guess
that they do not want *nix users for customers.

The X-Rite folks have been good about getting this info to me and others.
X-Rite purchased GretagMacbeth and the merger was finalized about a month
ago.  I had worked with GretagMacbeth for about 8 months to get interface
info for their Eye-One devices but did not get anything that was useful even
though they had Linux drivers in house.  At one point they said they would
give me the code to the drivers if I signed an NDA which I did.  But after
signing the NDA I never saw any of the code or anything else that was not
already public information.  I am hoping that X-Rite will continue with their
old policies and not adopt those of GretagMacbeth as the GretagMacbeth
policies were not OSS friendly.  But that remains to be seen.

So for any *nix users I can only recommend the X-Rite DTP-94 at this time
since it is the only lower cost current production color meter for which any
software is available.  Even at that I have never seen this discounted below
it's $199 retail price but I have not looked very hard either.  So this is
still far more expensive than some hardware that works on Windows or the Mac.
For example you can get the Huey which has both Windows and Mac software
included from GretagMacbeth for a little over $50 including shipping if you
shop around and I have a Eye-One Display LT (with software) that cost me $106
including shipping.

snip

> Aha, yes, that'll be a good starting point. Thanks. I noticed that I
> don't seem to get very good input via ufraw by default. Using the
> profile for a Nikon D70 (same sensor, so they say) seems to produce
> much better results, but I wasn't sure if that was dumb luck. I'll look
> into getting this setup first.

The generic D70 profile will probably work OK.  But there is sample to sample
variation in any device and creating custom profiles will take this variation
into account.   Depending on how close your particular camera is to the one
used to create the generic profile you may actually not notice a difference.

snip

> Actually, the process is this:
>
> Go to mediastreet, buy ink (and perhaps paper) from them, download a
> (two page) target image, print the image, mail it to them, then they
> profile it (apparently on some expensive hardware, such as you
> describe) then they return--and publish for general use by other
> customers. So, yes, this was created on my very own hardware with my
> favorite paper, so one hopes it's pretty accurate.

You also need to print the target this using the same software and settings as
you intend to use with the profile.  So if this was printed on Windows it
will not be valid on Linux with gutenprint.

I have not tested this but the basic interface to gutenprint appears to be
CMYK so it might actually be advantageous to have CMYK profiles rather than
Windows/Mac style RGB printer profiles.  Anyone here know?  You would also
need to print a CMYK target for the profile to be valid.

Perhaps it is possible to get the measurement data from them.  If that is the
case then you could use this to drive the printer profiling routines of
ArgyllCMS which would allow you to fine tune the profile.

I also have been in contact with another place that offered custom printer
profiles at very reasonable prices ($25) and I asked them about the
possibility of just getting the measurements and being able to send them
custom printer targets to measure such as those generated by ArgyllCMS.   It
seemed like they were open to doing that even though they did not commit to
it.    But they did indicate to me that it would cost about the same as
generating a profile since measuring the target was 90% of the work involved.

Also the author of photoprint which is a printing front end to gutenprint with
full color management support (I had forgotten about this and it should be on
your list of possible software to use for implementing a CM work flow in
Linux) also offers a measurement service that is specific to ArgyllCMS.  Last
I checked it was very reasonable.
http://www.blackfiveservices.co.uk/PhotoPrint/Profiling.shtml

Also I have purchased ink from MediaStreet but I did not know that they also
would create custom profiles.   How much do they charge for this service?

snip

> Yes, a learning curve indeed. But worth it, and your help will make
> things easier. At least I've some clue which roads to try to go along,
> and in which order.

Once you are past the learning curve you will produce better results in less
time.  You will also have much more confidence in your results and a much
higher level of consistency.  So yes it is well worth the effort if you are
into photography or graphic arts.

Hal