--- "Hal V. Engel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
... snip much useful info...
> The generic D70 profile will probably work OK.

Hmm, you're right. I found this on the ufraw site, and it does seem
believable. Much better than sRGB, which is otherwise the default. I
also found some profiles on the (windoze/Mac) CD that came with the
camera, and one of them "/home/simon/NKDBase_NEF.icm" seems to produce
reasonably good results--albeit rather low contrast--with RAW (.nef)
files. Unfortunately, Nikon's help desk seem largely illiterate about
this. Maybe I asked wrong, or just happened to get the wrong
individual. I'll probably try again.

> Also I have purchased ink from MediaStreet but I did not know that
> they also
> would create custom profiles.   How much do they charge for this
> service?

Mediastreet do it for free :) You provide the paper and ink, and they
keep the information for their database. But they don't charge for it
and give you these for free for any device/paper combination they have
previously profiled. I guess if you want one that's specific to your
own individual printer but the printer/paper combination is already in
their database, you could invent some fictitious paper and claim it was
that :) See: http://mygallery.mediastreet.com/profile_finder.html. If
they can't find your combination in their DB, they send you an email
inviting you to print off the targets (also downloadable for free) and
mail them to them. The targets are two sheets, with about 900 swatches
total, so I'm guessing it's a fairly serious profiling system they're
using.

Many thanks for all the info, it's much appreciated.

Cheers,
Simon

"You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a
man is wise by his questions." — Naguib Mahfouz

http://mail.yahoo.com