21.08.2015 12:05, Erich Titl пишет:
> Hi
>
> Am 21.08.2015 um 10:53 schrieb Andrew:...
>>>
>>> Why keep that thing, it is redundant and needs code to read it.
>>>
>> Just to reduce moddb size if it'll be needed for somebody. There are
>> just some lines of code for handling it.
>
> Could you specify why someone might need this and where the positive
> effect is if he needs modules.sqfs instead?

I said earlier - for custom kernel modules case.
> To mee it looks like you would need the fully blown modules.sqfs plus
> a reduced moddb instead of a slightly bigger moddb an _no_ modules.sqfs.
moddb causes an one big trouble on kernel update - it should contain all
important kernel modules. Including tens of NIC drivers and tens of
wireless devices drivers. So, if you have, for ex., Emulex NIC on remote
box (which drver isn't included into moddb) - you'll have a headache on
remote upgrade; you'll need a physical access to server for running
modules autodetection or you should prepare moddb manually - ad module
and all its deps. And there's no good solution for this.