>and if you had all of those Office machines as separate images on a
giant T-Rex, those IT folks would still have to manually patch each and
every image separately, and spend 15 minutes on that.

Actually, much of the updates can be automated on a mainframe with the use of shared
disks.  We are doing it now.    I have an automated update method that I've been using
for more than a year that works great. After testing a fix on the test image, it takes
me about 10 minutes to route it around to 30 other images. To hear more about it, come
see my presentation at SHARE in Washington DC, "Managing a Penguin Farm on the VM
Prairie", Thursday 8/14 at 11:00.  After the conference, If anyone wants a copy of the
presentation, I'll be glad to send one.

There is also at least one company, Linuxcare, that sells a product, Levanta, that
will manage multiple clones on one mainframe, including cloning, start/stop and
automated product installation and updates.

"Great Minds discuss ideas.  Average minds discuss events.  Small minds discuss
people."  - Admiral Hyman Rickover
Gordon Wolfe, Ph.D.  (425)865-5940
VM Enterprise Servers, The Boeing Company