Quite right.  I would think, that once you have an reliable production
application running, you would just leave it alone.  When you get the
next release of that application, you would put it on a current level of
Linux.  And then kill off the old application and old level of Linux.

That is easy enough to do when you only have one application per
image.

Back to the origional question, if it is better to have one application
per image or multiple applications per image.  So far, I haven't seen
much of a response for "multiple applications per image" camp.

I, might have to consolidate some just from the real memory
requirements.  But I can see the MVS types having a view of one large
image with multiple applications.  Also, LPAR types are limited in the
number of images.

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

"When you do full distro upgrades, you upgrade everything and go
through
your QA routine.

Even then I can imagine that over time, the number of "standard
configurations" will proliferate.

I discovered recently that people are still using Red Hat Linux 6.2.
Their applications all work on it. it's a good stable release of RHL
6.2
and it works on their hardware.

Unfortunately, Red Hat's not shipping fixes for it any more, and it is
in need of fixes. Still, if it's properlly shielded it's probably no
worst them MSWare.

Come to think of it, I installed RHL 6.2 myself a week or so ago.

I'm sure people here will be in that position wrt SLES7 or RHL 7.x in
time: the cost of disrupting it will be too much to contemplate."

--

Cheers
John.