On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 08:09:46PM -0700, Jim Sibley wrote:
> Alan wrote:
>
> > Its just that PC's are so cheap its
> > easier to use several for a job _IFF_ you can solve
> > the management problem.
>
> That _IFF_ is not only non-trivial technically, but
> also not not-trivial financially!
>
> You but one cheap PC or a hundred cheap PC's, you
> still have a bunch of cheap PC's.
>
> One of my favorite examples is that our company still
> has MS pervasively in the office and once a month we
> get a note from IT security to put on a patch because
> MS did it again. So it takes me 15 minutes, so what?
> Well, with 300,000 in the company, thats 75,000
> MANHOURS. IT security doesn't care - the manhours
> doesn't come out of its budget!

And if you had all of those Office machines as separate images on a
giant T-Rex, those IT folks would still have to manually patch each and
every image separately, and spend 15 minutes on that.

As for "cloning", "patch distribution" etc.: those solutions
are exactly "solutions (?) to the management problem". As you mentioned
in the beginning, just cramming many images on one mainframe won't make
it go away.

--
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]       +---------------------------+