From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux for nitwits
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 01:54:03 GMT

On Wed, 22 Nov 2000 01:43:41 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck) wrote:

>On Wed, 22 Nov 2000 00:40:54 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>>A "direct cable connection" is the biggest PITA I have ever dealt with wrt
>>>Windows.  I have yet to get 1 to work.  I would rather use Linux than rely
>>>on that.
>
>>You must be a real idiot then because at least where I live the cable
>>company comes and sets the entire thing up.

>modems.

Ooopps...You are correct...My mistake.

Sorry to all..
claire

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Of course, there is a down side...
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 20:58:26 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Nov 2000 03:56:39 GMT, Mike Byrns
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >How's this better?  More usable to the average computer user?  I think not.
> >What's wrong with a well written setup program that autoruns when you insert
> >the CD?  You know the ones that ask to install the program if its not installed
> >or run it or uninstall it if it is.  The same ones that often offer to display
> >a release notes file that usually contains a list of the files installed, etc.
> >
> >Face it, most folks do NOT want to have to enter cryptic codes to do basic
> >things like install software.
>
> It made me ill just trying to find all the different keys on the
> keyboard.

Every high school in America offers typing courses.
And night classes for adult education.

Lack of typing skills is NOT a valid excuse.

> Personally I prefer Win2k's Search function. It is so much faster than
> Linux which seems to churn and churn and churn the hard disk before it
> finally comes up with a result.
>
> claire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: New to Linux, and I am not satisfied.
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 02:00:14 GMT

On Wed, 22 Nov 2000 00:49:47 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>> > How do you know if I post in any other groups? Just because you look
>> > for "claire" doesn't mean there aren't post's from me.
>> >
>> > Look a little bit harder.
>>
>> And you think this helps your credibility?
>
>He/she's right, you know.  You'd have to look under his/her thirty-two
>other aliases as well; a daunting task just to confirm what everybody
>already accepts as fact.  Claire's a troll, and a not very believeable
>one at that.
>

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

Believe what you will, but unlike the Linux trolls around here I have
actually tried to install and use the various half abortive
distributions of Linux, current ones at that. Not some Windows 95a
install that died 6 years ago like some of the Penguinista's like to
wine about.

You can believe it or not, but I can back up every statement I make
with facts. Something the Penguinista's can't do.

I post over and over again messages from other people in other groups
having the EXACT same problems I am having, yet you Penguinista's
ignore it.

I don't have to post a thing in fact. You can go back 3 years ago and
see the exact same problems posted in the Linux set up groups.
Clearly Linux is still the same pile of shit it was 3 years ago, with
only some pretty interface to try and cover it's crappiness up.

That's ok, because I don't give a shit one way or the other. Linux is
a pile of stinking crap and that has been proven over and over again.

"Just one look and that's all it took"

claire

"Linux...Build it yourself or suffer forever".

------------------------------

From: kiwiunixman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LINUX  USED BY THE NEW ZEALAND ARMY FOR ARMED FORCES SIMULATION:
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 14:56:27 +1300

Historically, New Zealand has had the largest contingent of troops, per
capita, when New Zealand particpates in any war.  Where was the o'l US
of A during WWI and WWII? wasn't in there until the ol' Japanese bombed
perl harbour. Get ya bloody facts right claire or keep your trap shut!

kiwiunixman

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.linux,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: I have had it up to *here* with Linux
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 02:01:38 GMT

Actually it is about 6 times, but whose counting :)

claire

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OT: Could someone explain C++ phobia in Linux?
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 21:03:41 -0500

Russ Lyttle wrote:

> mlw wrote:
> >
> > Russ Lyttle wrote:

> > > iostreams are C++. printf is C. You can't use iostreams in a C program
> > > and you can't use printf in C++ program. You can use printf in a C
> > > program disguised as a C++ program though.
> >
> > Where do you get that? printf is very much part of C++, if you think
> > otherwise, you are very very confused.
> >

> Not really. Until recently you had to include <stdio.h>. Now it is
> <cstdio.h>. Why do you think the new name has the "c" prefix? It
> indicates that you are doing C style programming, not C++. This is,
> IMHO, a bad feature of C++. The mixing of C style with C++ style is nice
> for bringing up old C programmers, but it makes for bad code on real
> projects.

I just don't understand your opinions. I have been developing software
since the late 70's. I first started in C using K&R C on a Sun 1. I have
been with it ever since. There is no serious document or guideline which
supports your position.

#include <stdio.h>
main()
{
        printf("Hello World\n");
}

Is just as much a C++ program as it is a C program. This is a fact. The
difference is that:

class foo
{
        protected:
        virtual void function(int);
};

Is not a C program, and can not be emulated using C as efficiently with
a C compiler, where as a C++ compile can do it very efficiently. For C
to emulate this behavior, a programmer would have to do this:

struct _foo_vtable
{
        void (*function)( struct * _foo, int);
};

struct _foo
{
        struct _foo_vtable      vtable;
};

static struct _foo_vtable vt_foo = {foo_function};

struct _foo *CreateFoo(...)
{
        struct _foo *foo = malloc(sizeof(struct _foo));
        if(foo)
        {
                foo->vtable = _foo_vtable;
                return foo;
        }
        else
                return NULL;

}

And then you'd still have to access the functions like:

struct _foo foo = CreateFoo(...);

assert(foo);

foo->vtable->function(..);

C++ offers an amazing advantage over C in that when used procedurally
offers many features that make developing easier. When used as an OO
environment, enhances the language with features that make OO design
easier.

> > > .
> > > >
> > > Depends. In a kernel, the speed trade off is critical. In the TV
> > > example, size is critical with speed a close second. In both, safety is
> > > better in C due to tigher control over the compiler.
> >
> > Suffice to say, I have made mention of much C++ code I have done in
> > kernel space. Often code can be tighter and more efficient with a
> > virtual function than with a switch table. C++ can make more efficient
> > code. For instance:
> >
> > switch(object->type)
> > {
> >         case TYPE_PCIDMA:
> >         case TYPE_ISADMA:
> >         case TYPE_ISABUS:
> > }
> >
> > vs
> >
> > DmaObject->HandleEvent(...)
> >
> > --
> > http://www.mohawksoft.com
>
> Care to post a little more of the overall code so I can check it out? If
> you have a way of improving interupt handlers, I'm willing to learn.
> 68HC08, 68HC16, 8502 and similar targets would be nice. I don't have a
> C++ compiler for the targets, so if you could post the *.s file
> (assembly code) generated by your compiler for one of those, it would be
> helpful.

I'm not sure it would be useful in an environment without a C++
compiler. However a few snippets look like this:

(NT code)

LIBCALL(BOOLEAN) IrqService(IN PKINTERRUPT Interrupt, IN PVOID
ServiceContext)
{
        register Win32KernelObject *pko = (Win32KernelObject *)
ServiceContext;
        return pko->IrqHandler() != 0;
}
LIBCALL(void) DpcService (IN PKDPC Dpc,IN PVOID DevObject,IN PVOID
pvIrp,IN PVOID SysArg)
{
        Win32KernelObject *pko = (Win32KernelObject *)SysArg;
        pko->DpcHandler();
}
void * _cdecl operator new (unsigned int size)
{
        register void *p = ExAllocatePool(NonPagedPool, size);
        return p;
}
void _cdecl operator delete (void * p)
{
        if(p)
                ExFreePool(p);
}

Where as the Windows 95 code looks like this:

(windowsa.asm)

BeginProc       _VxD_Irq_Handler, High_freq

pushfd
; sp+4  Save the whales
        push    eax
        push    ebx
        push    ecx
        push    edx
        push    edi
        push    esi

        push
edx                                                             ; push
this
        call    _WINIrqHandler@4                                ; sp+12

        pop      esi
; Restore the whales
        pop      edi
        pop      edx
        pop      ecx
        pop      ebx
        pop      eax
        popfd

        VxDCall VPICD_Phys_EOI                                  ; Unmask
the IRQ.

clc
; Clear carry, inform it was ours.

ret
; Return.

EndProc         _VxD_Irq_Handler

BeginProc       VxD_Dpc_Callback
        Push_Client_State
; gotta save this!
        push    edx
        call    _WINDpcHandler@4                                ; Call
core DPC routine.
        add     esp,    4
        Pop_Client_State
; restore client stuff now

ret
; Return.
EndProc         Vxd_Dpc_Callback

Windows.cpp

LIBCALL(int) WINIrqHandler(DWORD Param)
{
        return (Param) ? ((Win32KernelObject *)Param)->DpcHandler() :
FALSE;
}

LIBCALL(void) WINDpcHandler (DWORD Param)
{
        if (Param) ((Win32KernelObject *)Param)->DpcHandler();
}

void * Win32DeviceDriver::operator new(unsigned int size)
{
        register void *f;

        f = _HeapAllocate((ULONG) size, HEAPZEROINIT);

        return f;
}

void Win32DeviceDriver::operator delete( void *ptr)
{
        _HeapFree(ptr,0);
}

With just a little bootstrap code,  Windows 95 and NT can look a lot
alike. (There is a lot of stuff that is being sniped for brevity)

I have a class called PciCard which encapsulates PCI cards, IRQ clases,
DMA classes, etc. A driver is then created as:

class PioCard: public Win32DeviceDriver, PciCard, IrqHandler,
DmaBusMaster
{
        public:
        PioCard(void);
        ~PioCard(void);
        STATUS  DeviceIoControl(PIOCTL pioctl);

};

When all is compiled, it works quite well. The overhead involved with
calling the functions are minimal. Two address indirections and a call.

Using this we were able to write our drivers and really really optimize
the various classes. The actual code was very highly optimized for the
various constructs, and allowed the less than great software guys who
knew the hardware to write great drivers.

It worked very well, it allowed the creation of a set of drivers that
out performed the earlier ones, and allowed both Windows and NT drivers
to be developed simultaneously with the same source.

--
http://www.mohawksoft.com

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 21:02:22 -0500

>   "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > CLI-phobic? You can do the same with "kpackage".
> >
> > What's your point?
> >
> > why is EVERY debate framed in terms of "What if I'm a fucking dumbass
> > who refuses to learn a damned thing"?
> >
> > If that is the case, you should take your computer back to the store
> > where you purchased it from, and tell them, "I, pac4854, am too
> > fucking stupid to own and operate a computer."
>
> Actually, I use the command but I thought I'd point out that there are
> alternatives.
>
> At least I'm not too fucking stupid to trim my sig.

Why would I want to trim it, when it says EXACTLY what I want it to say?

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.linux,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 21:05:45 -0500

Donn Miller wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
>
> > You are insane.
> >
> > An early pentium running Linux has more power than the late LoseDOS box.
>
> You're right.  I've got a P166 machine running FreeBSD+WindowMaker, and
> it absolutely blows away a 450 MHz AMD running Windows 98 I have running
> here.  Well, it's FreeBSD and not Linux, but I'm sure the effect is the
> same.

Correct.  Same computing model yields same results.

> -----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: kiwiunixman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mandrake 7.2 and KDE2 - Congrats !
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 15:01:56 +1300

good on ya chum.  Claire (if you are reading), for every nitwitt who
complains of Linux's "Complexity" there are 5 like this guy who have
been able to set up Linux flaulessly on their machine.  Claire, if you
"friends" are experiencing problems, give them the book, "Linux for
complete and utter fuck witts Vol 1".

kiwiunixman

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus!
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 02:08:13 GMT

"Christopher Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8vf6ke$voq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Note also that there are less safeguards for saving attachments in
*nix
> > > mailers and a quick one-line instruction will soon rectify the lack of
> +x.
> >
> > But that one line has to come explicitly from the user in question.
>
> As does the command to open an attachment.

But 'open' has nothing in common with  the meaning of 'execute' to
anyone who hasn't been brainwashed since birth.

> >   It is
> > not hidden behind a disguised meaning of 'open' or automatically
> > associated with something controlled by an unknown sender.
>
> The meangin of open is not disguised, it behaves identically to "open"
> anywhere else in the GUI.  Neither is the association controlled by the
> sender.

Email is an application, not a shell.  It's meaning of open is unlike the
meaning of open in any other application.   If you tell notepad or
word to open a *vbs file, will it launch an interpreter?